Monday, December 14, 2009

Winter Wonderland

Christmas is fast approaching. Aside from the usual hustle and bustle, it can be noted that during this season the nights are getting colder and longer. Well not really longer but it seems so. I for one love this season. Hmm…all the love and gifts, who wouldn’t be.

Okay, so we have what we call seasons. According to Wikipedia, the seasons result from the Earth’s axis being tilted to its orbital plane; it deviates by an angle of approximately 23.5 degrees. Thus, at any given time during summer or winter, one part of the planet is more directly exposed to the rays of the Sun. This exposure alternates as the Earth revolves in its orbit. Therefore, at any given time, regardless of season, the northern (NH) and southern hemispheres (SH) experience opposite seasons.


Photo courtesy of physicalgeography.net

Have you heard of Winter Solstice? It is the shortest day of the year, it occurs either on December 21 or 22, when NH is leaning farthest away from the sun. It is also called Midwinter. While the Summer Solstice occurs on June 21 or 22 thus called Midsummer.

Now you know when did this Midsummer Night’s Dream happened in Shakespeare’s play.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I am aware of Midsummer night's dream, but Winter Solstice? I've just learned it here. Nosebleed. :)
I love this season, two! However, in batangas it's not just cold weather... it's so WINDY there!

ROAD Access said...

It is chilly here at night. And I can barely move my hand every night (but of course that's because I don't have a choice but to work at night in an airconditioned office so add the aircon and the chill outside up together, you'll know what I mean).

Anonymous said...

I love cold nights cuddled up in bed with a thick blanket and lots of pillows. I'll be sleeping like a log then. Haha!
I just learned of Winter Solstice here though. Thanks for sharing this info with us.

nicquee said...

This is a bit of nosebleed but still thanks for the information!